Intramuros is one of my favorite places in Manila because of it’s vintagey look, as if I never get tired of walking and taking pictures around it. My problem was, though there are numbers of restaurants inside Intra, and most of them are quite expensive. Though I am a foodie, I don’t commit myself to spending too much just for the sake of reviewing them especially I don’t get anything from blogging yet. Walang balik, kumbaga. So you know my reviews are purely based from honesty and not just because I am paid. (Don’t worry guys, if they pay me I’ll still be honest lol.)
The last time I visited the “walled city” was five years ago, I think, when I was still in college. Since food and restos are forever a booming business, I knew I can find a nice place for lunch on my baby’s binyag. My first choice, honestly, is Tamayo’s since they are one of the well-known caterers near the Cathedral. Unfortunately, their minimum pax to book an even is 50 which is waaaayy above the budget and number of invited guests. Thankfully, I discovered Cafe Janealo.
Since it is a “cafe”, I didn’t expect they would serve heavy meals like steaks and chicken wings. I mean, food are usual among cafes nowadays, but normally pastries, pastas, or quick and light meals such as sandwiches and salads.
Cafe Janealo caught my heart with their spicy wings. Yep, chicken wings is my comfort food and is my loooong-time favorite. Plus, you can have 9 pcs for just 199Php (rate as of June 2018) very cheap for a super yummy dish!
One time I had lunch with myself and tried the Thai Style Beef Steak. I honestly didn’t expect too much since, as far as I know, steaks are not one of the specialties of a cafe. But hey, theirs is soooo good it made me write a review of the place. Lol
Another recommendation is the Bacon bombs and coffee almonds. That combination is the best (+ spicy wings)!
The place is a quite small, though. But can accommodate 28-30 persons. I love though they have a very limited space, they still managed to make it look cozy, nice, and classy. For me, they have a perfect ambience for me-time, hanging out with friends, and of course, taking photos.
They also have available slots for parking which makes the place more convenient. It is also more accessible to customers as they are located along a main street and right across a church.
More photos on my VSCO: https://vsco.co/themhayonnaise/
To wrap it all up:
- Budget: 500/pax
- Must-tries: Thai-style steak, spicy chicken wings, coffee almonds
- Located at the corner of Beaterio and Cabildo Streets right across the Cathedral of Manila in Intramuros.
- Facebook: Café Janealo
- For inquiries and reservations contact Jane Alo at their FB page or call (02) 243 0787
Here’s my review ratings:
- Location and Ambience – 5/5
- Service – 5/5
- Food – 5/5
- Affordability – 4/5
- Though the place is quite small, it is also very cozy and super cute
- The staff are very nice, they even gave me a candle to use for my pictures on the blog lol. Jane mentioned they hire students and it’s a great way to help them gain experience and earn more money for whatever they need in school.
- They’re not just a cool café but they are the coolest when they confirmed we can reserve the place for Mneme’s Christening day!
I really enjoy every dining experience I had and will be having in this café. Good news? They will be expanding their place soon! I really wish them the best and more dishes to launch!